Beverley South Auxiliary Patrol
- Created: 05 January 2015
- Hits: 1285
Beverley South Auxiliary Patrol
Patrol Members as of 1944
Sgt Arthur Oxtoby Lorry Driver 27/03/1912
Cpl Norman J Blake Research Chemist 06/06/1914
Pte Hampton Lee Chemist-Leather 03/06/1912
Pte Arthur Meek Lorry Driver 23/02/1912
Pte David A Patterson Draughtsman-Tool 14/07/1915
Pte Edward W Shaw * Ship Building- Electric Welder 27/06/1915
Pte Nick Verity was a Former Member.
* Pte Edward Shaw went to the Isle of Wight in the 2nd phase of the D-Day Invasion
This OB has now collapsed
What strikes me about the Unit Members is that none of them are farmers. None of them have an occupation that is anything to do with the land and all of them are quite young. It could be that these Units both Beverley North and South could have been deployed to cause havoc around the Town of Beverley. The Beverley North and South Patrols were only three quarters of a mile apart and 2 miles from the Walkington OB
The Entrance Shaft
Water tap still in situ
Although the 1944 list shows two patrols of Beverley North and Beverley South, an earlier Home Guard transfer list shows there was possibly one patrol to start with, Mr GW Hardy explained as a 15 year old he acted as a messenger boy between Capt Carrington and Sgt Sykes who was replaced at some stage by Sgt Wright and appears in the 1944 list as a private. Also Pte Micklewaite listed in the Walkington Patrol is often referred to as a member of the Beverley Patrol. Events some 70 years ago appear to be hazy especially for members to recall precise events in a Secret Organisation.
70 years has took its toll
The OB is situated within a small Woodland approx twenty feet from the edge. It is situated on top of a small valley which contains a stream. The escape tunnel that has collapsed can be still be tracked down towards a stream. The OB is in danger of collapse but inside a tap still in situ on the entrance wall and the escape hole in the wall to the tunnel can be seen.
Entrance shaft ladder still solid as a rock
No Physical remains found outside the OB. The track of the escape tunnel can easily be seen leading down to a stream some 40 feet away. The tunnel has since collapsed. Training was carried out at the Bluestone Quarry with both the Beverley South and the Walkington Patrols and transport for the Units was provided by a Mr Tattershall, a Wm Hodgesons Employee using the firms transport. Sgt Charles Wright worked as a Tannery Foreman at Wm Hodgesons. Capt Carrington the Groups CO was a leather Sales Manager with WM Hodgson.
Although the 1944 list shows two patrols of Beverley North and Beverley South, an earlier Home Guard transfer list shows there was possibly one patrol to start with, Mr GW Hardy explained as a 15 year old he acted as a messenger boy between Capt Carrington and Sgt Sykes who was replaced at some stage by Sgt Wright and appears in the 1944 list as a private. Also Pte Micklewaite listed in the Walkington Patrol is often referred to as a member of the Beverley Patrol. In a written Story by Auxillier Eddie Shaw his name appears on the Nominal Roll for the Beverley South Patrol he states that his OB was the Beverley North Patrol. We can only conclude that there was indeed one patrol for this area in the early set up days. He says that the OB was very damp and not fit for the storage of explosives and Eddies Job was to store the explosives which he doesn’t say where. He had a car loaned by the War Office and used this to transport the Explosives to training. He also states than when a big exercise was going on they were called upon to take off their Home Guard flashes and become what he calls Proper Soldiers.
The whole Patrol was sent to the Isle of Wight and Eddie states that they arrived by Ferry at Freshwater and stayed in Lord Tennysons House. They were detailed to march around the Island, a ten mile route march twice a day in shifts and was on the Island for ten days. They took the place of Canadian Troops who had somewhat wrecked the house.