- Created: 15 January 2015
- Hits: 1368
Situated on the Yorkshire Coast just to the north of Atwick village, this is another WW1 site with very little history. Its location was 3 miles from Hornsea railway station and it was listed as a 2nd class landing ground. It covered an area of 50 acres in open surroundings, half a mile from the sea. The site was another used by 76 squadron, Royal Flying Corps.
76 Squadron crest
There is no record of any regular use at Atwick until May 1918 when it was occupied by 504
251 Squadron crest
flight of 251 squadron, Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) which operated with DH 6s on anti u boat patrols. The landing ground closed immediately after the war and there is no trace of it today.
Pilot Ranald MacDonald of No 76 Squadron RFC by his Royal Aircraft Factory B_E_12b single seat general purpose biplane used for Home Defence duties Serial number C3094
DH-6 B3091 near Robin Hoods Bay.
On 8th July 1918 this aircraft suffered an engine failure and was force-landed 3.5 miles South West of Robin Hoods Bay, the aircraft was undamaged and the pilot uninjured. Given the known distance this landing probably occurred on moorland and this would seem remarkable that no damage was sustained. I would suggest that either some slight damage was sustained or the distance from Robin Hoods Bay is not correct.
Pilot - Name unknown.
DH6 B3091 was built by Airco for the RFC and served with them (there are no details of its service), it was transferred to the RAF on 1st April 1918 and transferred to M.A.D. Killingholme for 256 Squadron on 25th May 1918. It moved to SD Flt 251 Squadron at Atwick on 30th June 1918. Following the incident detailed above no further record of it exists, it must be presumed it saw no further service after the incident either being repaired and flown out or dismantled and removed by road, the latter being most probable
Crashed Airco DH6 on Atwick Beach
© RAF Badges and other Crown Copyright material is reproduced with the permission of and under the terms of a licence issued by the Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights, Ministry of Defence.
Photographs marked '© IWM' are used with the permission of the Imperial War Museum and may not be copied without the permission of the IWM.
Researched and compiled by Mark Sansford & Martyn Owst with acknowledgments to