RAF Full Suton
- Created: 20 October 2013
- Hits: 2401
R.A.F Full Sutton
The Sqn Logos are used and produced under licence from the MOD
Royal Air Force Station Full Sutton or RAF Full Sutton is a former Royal Air Force station located 2.0 miles (3.2 km) south east of Stamford Bridge, East Riding of Yorkshire and 4.7 miles (7.6 km) north west of Pocklington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
Above: Ariel view 2009
Full Sutton became operational in May 1944, being one of the last heavy bomber stations built during the war, and became part of No4 Group, Bomber Command. It was built on three commons, Gowthorpe, Fangfoss and the common that gave the station its' name, Full Sutton,
The only operational unit to be based here was 77 Squadron which moved in from Elvington in May until the end of the war. No. 77 Squadron RAF with the Handley Page Halifax Mks III and VI before switching to the Dakota in July 1945. The squadron moved to RAF Broadwell on 31 August 1945.
It was the standard three paved runway design for heavy bombers.
Above: the North runway looking South
Full Sutton was active until 1947 when it was put on a Care and Maintenance basis. However the Korean War gave Full Sutton another lease of life and it re-opened in 1951.
No104 Refresher Flying School became resident and remained here until the mid-1950s.
1955 to 1957 saw the airfield put on the reserve list for the US Air Force but was never used operationally.
In February 1957, the RAF moved back in and Full Sutton became a satellite field for Driffield for the Thor Missile until disbandment in April 1963 when the station closed.
Today the former airfield has been heavily developed for industry with the northern part of the airfield housing a prison Part of the main runway is still in use by light aircraft.