- Created: 10 October 2013
- Hits: 2936
The Sqn Logo's are used and produced under licence from the MOD
RAF Melbourne was a Royal Air Force station during the Second World War. Located 5 miles to the South-west of Pocklington, Yorkshire, England. The nearest village is Seaton Ross.
East Common just outside the village of Seaton Ross was requisitioned for use as a grass airfield in November 1940. In late 1940 the airfield was used by Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys of 10 Squadron as a relief landing ground for RAF Leeming. The airfield soon closed for re-development as a standard Bomber Command airfield with three concrete runways and three hangars.
The first user of the re-built airfield was again 10 Squadron but by this time operating the Handley Page Halifax four-engined heavy bomber.
Little time was wasted before the aircraft were used on operational sorties from Melbourne. The squadron continued with operation until March 1945 and lost 109 aircraft on operations.
Melbourne was unusually equipped with FIDO fog dispersant system. This made the airfield popular diversion airfield for other squadrons returning from operations to Yorkshire.
Lancaster landing with aid of FIDO
In May 1945 the airfield was transferred to RAF Transport Command and 575 Squadron moved in with the Douglas Dakota. The squadron only stayed for a few months operating transport flight to and from continental Europe. With the departure of the Dakota a number of specialised Flights used the airfield for six months but by the middle of 1946 the airfield was no longer used for flying.
No 575 Squadron
It was formed for transport duties from a nucleus of No 512 Squadron at Hendon on 1 January 1944 and was equipped with Dakotas. Following training and leaflet dropping operations over France it took part in the Overlord landings on 5/6 June 1944, during which it carried out both paratroop dropping and glider towing missions.
It later operated at Arnhem and took part in the Rhine crossing in March 1945. With the end of the war, the squadron moved to Italy and operated services between there and Austria, Romania, Greece and Bulgaria until disbanding at Bari on 15 Aug 1946.
Motto: The air is our path
RAF units and aircraft
Unit Dates Aircraft Notes
No. 10 Squadron RAF 1942–1945 Handley Page Halifax Four-engined heavy bomber.
No. 575 Squadron RAF 1946 Douglas Dakota Twin-engined transport.
No. 1510 Flight RAF 1945–1946 Airspeed Oxford Blind approach training flight
No. 1552 Flight RAF 1945–1946 Airspeed Oxford & Avro Anson Blind approach training flight
No. 1553 Flight RAF 1945 Airspeed Oxford Blind approach training flight
No. 1554 Flight RAF 1945 Airspeed Oxford Blind approach training flight
Handley Page Halifax & Avro Anson
Douglas Dekota & Airspeed Oxford Trainer
• No. 4 Group Communication Flight (1945–1946)
• No. 91 Maintenance Unit (1949–1954)
Memorial on site
Memorial at the Mail Entrance
The airfield is now home to York Raceway running drag racing throughout the summer. The farm on the North Eastern side of the site still uses the main East/West runway for his single prop aeroplane.