RAF Patrington GCI Radar Station
- Created: 14 September 2013
- Hits: 3931
RAF Patrington WW2 GCI (Happidrome) Radar Station
Just to the North Of Patrington lies a small collection of buildings that time has forgotten but are in a very good state of repair. The site is of a Ground Controlled Interception (GCI) radar station and GCI stations were developed by the Air Ministry from 1940 to detect, locate and track enemy aircraft and provide inland radar coverage of Britain. Patrington initially functioned as an Intermediate station. Intermediate GCI sites typically comprised a single aerial array mounted on a gantry and a 50ft by 18ft (15.2m by 5.5m) non-metallic operations hut. Additional on-site buildings included a small standby set house for reserve power, huts for offices and recreation, and a guard hut for the site entrance. It later was developed into a Final station. Final GCI or AMES Type 7 stations comprised a single rotating aerial array with transmitter equipment stored beneath in an underground bunker, and a large brick-built operations room or Happidrome. In 1947 the Happidrome was used as the Northern Sector Operations Centre (SOC), until the purpose built SOC opened at Shipton in 1953. The station was replaced with a new, advanced radar station at Holmpton in the early to mid 1950s.
This view is of the side of the Reporting Hall
This is the front of the posssibly the Guard Room
The whole Structure today is in very good condition and is not clear what it is being used for in its current state