Bilton Patrol

This Commanded was Captain Stanley Holmes DOB 10/04/1896, a Provision Merchant at Cottingham. The Group Sergeant was Sgt Robert E Williams of Hull DOB 12/05/1901, a works foreman. He had originally been a member of the South Cave Patrol when he lived in that area.

                                                          Patrol Members

Sgt Frank Jameson                           Ships Plumber                       20/02/1895
Cpl John H Holley                            Stone Worker                          04/02/1905
Pte Albert Carr                                  Market Gardener                    05/06/1913
Pte Albert H Grantham                    Farm Worker                           18/07/1913
Pte W Jubb                                        Ships Joiner                            29/04/1909

Targets for this Patrol were none existent except for one that stared us in the face and that was the road to the North around 500 metres away is the main coast road from Hull to all Eastern Coast towns. The Patrols training was done at Burton Constable Hall under the watchful eyes of Mr Robert Thirsk, the Estate Gamekeeper and a WW1 Veteran.

The OB was built into the bank of a drainage ditch. After the war ended the Royal Enginners destryed this one and only a delve can be seen in the ground. Today it borders Ganstead Golf Club and many Golfers pass by unaware of the history they pass.

All thats left of the Bilton OB

Close Menu