Harpham Patrol

The Northern Area consisted of 16 Patrols forming Four Groups No’s 1-4 Harpham was within group No 1

Northern Group Commander – Captain Charles V Colley also commanded No1 Group
Asst Group Commander – Lt Neville J Woodward
Group Sgt Clerks – Sgt Jeffrey Horsfield , Sgt William M Jacob
Training W.O. – CSM Frederick K Richardson

Name

Sgt Robert Pearson    

ID No

JGFN/35/1

Occupation

Date of Birth

Cpl Frank Garton

JCSN/36/3

Farmer

21/12/1916

Pte Thomas Webster

KG/0223/5

Farmer

15/06/1915

Pte Ronald Sellers

JCFF/10/8

  

Pte Raymond Sellers

JCFF/11/6

  

According to the Nominal rolls Pte Marcus A Bell JCSN/65/3 and Pte Hohn Conyers JGSN/34/2 were earlier members of the Unit. 

The OB is situated within private woodland just South East of the village of Harpham

Very close by is the Main Coast line from Hull to Bridlington and Scarborough. The nearest Railway Station was the Village of Lowthorpe which was closed in 1970. This line would of been of vital importance to resupply any Invading Force anywhere within the Country. RAF Lissett which had a Bomber Command Squadron (158) based there is to the South East and RAF Carnaby to the North East. Not forgetting RAF Driffield to the East which was a target for many Units.

The Unit is not that far located from Middleton on the Wolds the East Yorkshire Training Area and HQ so it is easily surmised that their training would of been done here

Speaking with the Daughters of both Sgt Pearson and Cpl Garton neither spoke of their time in the Auxiliary Units although the Daughter of Sgt Pearson does remember him taking her to visit Ammunition Stores when she was a young girl.

 Landowner/Permissions:

Full permission was given by the Legard Family of Scampston Hall. Location is not to be divulged. 

With Special thanks to Mr Alex Wood and Mr Tom Moody

NB On other Research Sites a video is shown which is by ourselves showing the location of the OB, this is a little laughable to be honest as this is completely wrong and we were shown the location of the OB in its present location which was completely destroyed by the Royal Engineers. It has been pointed out to these other Research Sites and that is why we do not show the video here. However we did find a Observation Post (OP) the only one of its kind in the Country so much so that the National Trust Copied it from Plans submitted by us. Today the OP can be seen at Coleshill House the Home of the Auxiliary Unity HQ. However no recognition was given to us for our work, we would like to thank the NT for this.

 

Close Menu