The Walkington Patrol belonged to No 7 Group and was commanded by Captain Cyril Carrington (b.03.12.1899) of Beverley who was a leather Sales Manager with the local tannery of WM Hodgson. He was also Group Commander of the East Riding Southern Area. The Group Sgt Clerk was Sgt Herbert Gillyon a leather worker at the same Tannery (b.25.02.1906). The Intelligence Officer was a Captain Leigh-Lye. The Group consisted of the Beverley North and South and Walkington Patrols.
Patrol Members (1944 List)
Sgt Bethel Taylor School Master 20.11.1909
Cpl Eric Jackson Farmer 01.02.1915
Pte Jesse Micklethwaite Engineer 17.03.1905
Pte Peter T Birkhead Draughtsman 25.01.1920
Pte Edward Hanger Paint Manufacturer 07.07.1905
Pte John Hanger Paint Manufacturer 10.10.1913
The condition of the OB is Very Bad, and the size and construction is of the Standard found in East Yorkshire. The Ob is deeper than normal with its floor level about 12 feet below ground. Concrete blocks were used instead of brick and the Entrance shaft had built in ladder rungs made from 2” piping. The Ob is some 20 feet in length and approx 9 feet wide. Two small vestibules at either end were created by concrete walls. The escape tunnel was made from 76mm concrete pipes and was about 14ft in length and had a right angle bend about half way. An Observation Post (OP) was not found, however approx 250 feet away we found a small depression in the ground. It looked like a small 2 man trench and had filled in over the years to a depth of a foot. This could have been natural as the view from this post was completely blocked by trees and vegetation but may not have been during the war. We found an old drawer made from metal with a riveted handle. It looked like the old metal desk drawers and can be seen on the video. The OB was easily found from the footpath due to the Escape Tunnel being visible. The OB had been dug into the chalk of a valley side 12 feet down. When the roof had corroded the weight of the chalk had brought the entire main chamber down. The main shaft and escape tunnel are still very much in tact. I found that when exiting the escape tunnel you would have not had much cover to make your escape.
Airfields in the vicinity included RAF Driffield and RAF Leconfield and a main Barracks at Beverley. Training was carried out at Bluestone Quarry and another pit close to Bishop Burton, Along with other Patrols within the Area. A nearby field was used for Mortar Practice range and against this background noise the OB was blasted out of the chalk. Tail Fins still turn up during ploughing operations. This OB was built by the Royal Engineers.